Sunday, September 20, 2026

Woodo - An exploration of storytelling and nostalgia (NO SPOILERS)


 It was during The MIX 2025 that I encountered the marketing & media manager for Daedalic Entertainment, Suze. 
Suze is an energetic and bubbly lady whose personality is perfectly suited to running booths, cheering on teams, and making delightful first impressions. My partner and I made a point to go find her on the PAX floor, the next day, and that was when I encountered Woodo. There wasn't a demo station available, but I grabbed every little button and card, and added it to my wishlist. When we got back to the hotel room, I installed the demo on my laptop and immediately played it. 

                                                Header image from the Woodo Steam page


From that moment onward, I was hooked, and made a note in the back of my mind that it was gonna be a Day One Purchase for me (few things are, generally, but Woodo had me, hook, line, and sinker). 

Well, it finally launched and I have just 100%'ed it, and I have THOUGHTS TO SHARE! 
Don't worry; I don't plan to spoil anything. 

Firstly, the main musical theme of the game is nostalgia in sound form. I don't know how, but I'm teleported to my own grandparents' summer kitchen as soon as it starts playing. The song doesn't sound like anything I've heard before, but it feels like every place and moment from childhood that I miss. I'm sure that sounds absurd, but once you listen to it, I think you'll know what I mean. 
I'm sure the bittersweetness is amplified by the fact that we just broke out my late nana's quilts for autumn, as it is finally getting chilly. I am primed for feels, if you will. 


Next thing that makes my heart do little grabby hands is the incredible design and craftsmanship of the characters and environments; round and friendly and polished smooth with bright colors that still let the texture and pattern of wood show through. If it weren't for the charming, bouncy animations that happen when you mouse over them, you'd think every asset was, indeed, carved from wood. 

As for gameplay~ 
While I am a veteran hidden-object/point-and-click, I confess that I did hit the hint button a couple times, so expect a challenge from time to time. I'd have been happy if every level/stage/scene was set up the same way, but I was pleasantly surprised to see the mechanics shift a bit in every one! Sometimes guiding you through a story, visually, as well as through the narration, and always keeping it fresh. I really, really like how they designed basically everything, including their achievements and (exactly 10) collectables. 

The only thing I didn't like about the game was that it ended but, as our narrator concludes as well, that's the way of things. Not only did I 100% the game, I also 100% recommend it to anyone looking for a cozy puzzle to cuddle up with in the evening. 
For maximum enjoyment, I suggest comfy jammies, and a hot drink in your favorite mug. Perhaps even with a cookie or two. 

Finally, is Grandma OK? 
Not really applicable, and nobody dies, but I do feel the need to go hug someone I love so, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go do that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thousand Hells: Grim, grizzly, thoughtful, and heartfelt (NO SPOILERS)

When was the first time you agonized over decisions about characters you'd only known a few hours?  Some might say Baldur's Gate, ma...